Great Wall of China, commonly known as the one of the wonders of world. Like a writhing dragon’s tail, snakes its way across China’s northern border. As its name suggests, the Great Wall is an imposing architectural marvel with a history more than 2000 years. When you travel to Beijing, do not miss the famous Great Wall sightseeing, it’s one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and for good reason – it’s truly remarkable. There are a number of sections where you can visit the Great Walls in Beijing including Badaling, Mutianyu, Jianshanling and others. Do you know how to travel from Beijing airports or train stations to visit them?
Mutianyu Great Wall
Mutianyu Great wall Section is highly recommended since it's regarded as the most beautiful part of great wall, it would be a pity if you leave Beijing without seeing it, it is very easy to access the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China by public transport if you know what to do. It is located about 75 km northeast of Beijing, enjoys a long history and is part of the glorious culture of China.
Beijing Capital International Airport -- Mutianyu Great Wall
Mutianyu Great Wall is about 60KM from Beijing Capital Airport, it takes around 1.5 hours by driving. As it's the cloest Great Wall near this ariport, there are many domestic & international tourists come to visit the Mutianyu Great Wall. There are several options shows how to travel from Beijing Capital Airport to Mutianyu Great Wall.
1) Buses: You can take the public buses to get to Mutianyu Great Wall, but it's not recommended since it takes long time and difficult for the western tourists who can't speak Chinese. At present, there is only one tourist bus route heading to the Great Wall at Mutianyu from Beijing city center. It starts from Qianmen tourist dispatch center, passes Dongzhimen, and ends at the front gate of the Great Wall at Mutianyu scenic area. You can take metro from airport to Beijing city center first, then transfer to the tourist bus.
2) Taxi: As there is no direct bus between Beijing Capital Airport & Mutianyu Great Wall, many tourists will choose to take taxi to visit Mutianyu Great Wall, it takes around 1.5 hours without traffic. The taxi fare will costs about CNY200 for one way. There will be a long line for waiting the taxi at the airport. As there are few taxi drivers speak English, you can show the message"请带我去慕田峪长城" which means please take me to the Mutianyu Great Wall.
3) Private Transfer: If you want to enjoy a hassle free tour from Beijing Capital Airport to Mutianyu Great Wall once you arrive, you should better book a private car rental service with a local company. It cost more but enjoy the professional service, personal driver pick up service, comfortable vehicle transfer.
Beijing Daxing International Airport -- Mutianyu Great Wall
Daxing Airport is the newest airport in Beijing but it's far from the Beijing city center. Mutianyu Great Wall Scenic Area is about 130KM away from Daxing Airport, it takes around 2.5 hours. If you arrive in Beijing Daxing International Airport and want to visit Mutianyu Great Wall, taxi & private transfer will are the best options. It will cost around CNY350-CNY400 for one way by city taxi.
Beijing Train Station -- Mutianyu Great Wall
1) By train: If you get to Beijing by train, you can take the train from Beijing Train Station or Beijing East Train Station to Huairou Station, as the Mutianyu Great Wall is located in the Huairou District. The journey of the train ride takes around 1 hour. Once you arrive in Huairou, you can take taxi to get to Great Wall which takes around half an hour and costs CNY50.
2）Tourist Shuttle Buses: Taking taxi or Beijing metro to get to Dongzhimenwai Bus Station, there are daily shuttle buses available to Mutianyu Great Wall. Please note that almost all tourist buses depart from Dongzhimen Wail Bus Station in the morning (around 8:00 ~ 9:30).
3) Taxi: It is one of the convenient and cost-saving way from Beijing train station to Mutianyu Great Wall. It takes around 1.5 hours and costs about CNY300 for one way, you can negotiate with the taxi driver for a round-trip and the price is expensive.
4) Private Transfer
Book a private transfer from Beijing downtown or train station to visit Mutianyu Great Wall will make your tour easily and comfortable. There are many car rental company and travel agent provide such service.
Badaling Great Wall
The Badaling Great Wall is located in the north of Yanqing County, Beijing City, which is the most representative of Great Walls in Ming Dynasty. It is included in the United Nations World Cultural Heritage List. As cultural relics, Badaling Great Wall is not only famous in China but also around the world. It is the largest construction with long history and culture, attracting number of tourists come to visit.
Beijing Airport -- Badaling Great Wall
There are two mian airports in Beijing, Beijing Capital International Airport & Beijing Daxing International Airport. Most of international flights are arrive at Capital Airport. It is about 118KM northwest of Daxing Airport which takes 2 hours; Around 75KM northwest of Beijing Capital Airport which takes 1 hour. Taking Taxi & book private transfer service are the best options travel from Beijing airport to Badaling Great Wall.
If you want to take public transportation, you can take airport shuttle buses to Deshengmen first, then transfer to the bus No.919 to Yanqing. You can get off at Badaling Great Wall as well.
Beijing Train Stations -- Badaling Great Wall
There are 5 train stations in Beijing, Beijing train station, Beijing West Train station, Beijing South Train station, Beijing east train station and Beijing North train station; There several options that you can choose how to travel from Beijing train station to visit Badaling Great Wall as below:
There are over 12 pairs of train available between Beijing North Train Station to Badaling Train Station, it takes around 1.5 hours. You need to buy the train tickets once you at the train station, no designated seat and number. You will get a better seat if you arrive early. It's the best option for those who travel alone.
2. Tourist Buses
Many tourists also choose to take tourist bus from Beijing train station to visit Badaling Great Wall. You need to go to the Deshengmen Station first, then take Badaling Great Wall Tourist Buses there, Bus No. 877, 919 and 880 are available to get to Badaling, No.877 is a non-stop bus. Once you get off bus, you still need to walk around 10 mins to the Badaling Tickets Office.
3. Taxi or Private Transfer
Travel to Badaling Great Wall by taxi or private transfer service is a recommended option if you confused about the public transfers. They are more expensive but make your journey more relaxing.
Jinshanling Great Wall
Photographers know that the best place to take pictures of the Great Wall is not Badaling or Shanghaiguan, but Jinshanling. The Great Wall from Simatai in Beijing to Jinshanling in Hebei is the best preserved stretch, so many overseas visitors choose it. It is said that there are more overseas Great Wall climbers in Jinshanling than Chinese. As Jinshanling Great Wall is much far from Beijing Airport and Train Station, the transportation is not convenient as Badaling & Mutianyu Great Wall Section. The following information shows how to travel to Jinshanling Great Wall from Beijing.
Beijing Airports -- Jinshanling Great Wall
1) Bus: There is no direct bus from Beijing Capital Airport or Beijing Daxing Airport to Jinshanling Great Wall. You should take the airport shuttle buses to Dongzhimenwai Bus Station first, there are several tourist buses to Jinshanling Great Wall. It is the most convenient route if you want to take buses on your own.
2) Taxi: You can take taxi or Didi (Unber) from airport directly to visit Jinshanling, it's about 140KM from Beijing Capital Airport and 220KM from Daxing Airport.
3) Private Transfer: It's the best way to visit Jinshanling Great Wall from Beijing airport, it takes around 3.5 hours by road trip.
Beijing Train Station -- Jinshanling Great Wall
Jinshanling Great Wall is about 170KM from train stations in Beijing city center, it takes around 3 hours by taxi or private transfer. If you want to take public transportation, you can get to Dongzhimenwai Bus Station to take tourist bus to Jinshanling Great Wall.
Gubeikou Great Wall
It takes over 2 hours from Beijing city center to visit the Gubeikou Great Wall and it is connected to the Jinshanling section. Unlike Jinshanling, Mutianyu, and Badaling, where part of the Great Wall has been restored to a picture-perfect and safe state, Gubeikou Great Wall remains completely in its original condition. Gubeikou Great Wall is crumbling, much of it has no safety edges, and there is a lot of loose rock. That said, Gubeikou offers unique insight into the history of the Wall and outstanding views of its original, unrestored state, making it great for those who are accustomed to hiking in wild areas.
Beijing Airport / Train Station -- Gubeikou Great Wall
There are three options to travel from Beijing airport /Train Station to Gubeikou Great Wall, tourist bus, taxi and private car service. Taxi and book a private transfer service are the most popular way by tourists who want to visit the Gubeikou Water Town & Great Wall.
For those who travel in the budget, you can take Beijing public transportation or shuttle buses to get Dongzhimenwai Bus Station, then take bus No. 942 & No.855 to Gubeikou Water Town. The buses are daily departure, depart at 9:00, 12:00 & 15:30. The fare is CNY48/P.P.
Simatai Great Wall
Simatai's main draw is night tours. Though Badaling is also open at night, Simatai has more ambient lighting and fewer crowds. You can take the cable car up and walk this 3-mile section for about one and half to two hours. Be aware that its grade increases rapidly and is super steep. The Simatai wall cuts through the Simatai Reservoir, and those who want to can zipline over it. For the day hikers, Heavenly Ladder and Sky Bridge are two extremely narrow and high parts of the wall with incredible views of mountain ridges.
How to get to Simatai Great Wall
To get there hire a private driver is the best way to visit Simatai section, or hop on the Airport Express subway line to Dongzhimen station. Take Bus 980 from Dongzhimen Long Distance Bus Station to Miyun Town and then take a taxi.
Tips for Visiting Great Wall of China
1. If you are traveling solo or with one or two other adults, hiring a driver or using public transport will most likely be your best options. If you are traveling in a large group or with children or with elderly family members, a tour or private driver will be your best options.
2. The best time to visit the Great Wall is spring and autumn with the most comfortable temperature.
3. You must pay attention to safety when you climb the Great Wall, there are some sections are steep.
4. Prepare some snacks and enough when you visiting & hiking the famous Great Wall.
5. Try to avoid the crowds if you plan to visit the Badaling Great Wall section. Head out either super-early or late afternoon; Most of the tourists are domestic tourists. So, avoid weekends if possible, particularly during the summer.
* Quality Service & Affordable Prices are what we are here to do for our clients
* Customizable & Flexible Tour Arrangement based your needs
* Beijing Local Tour Company offers various Beijing Tours & China Package Tours
* Professional Guides: Licensed Bilingual tour guides with 5+ years experience
* Experienced Drivers & well conditionded vehicle
* Various Payment Methods: Paypal, Alipay, Wechat, Bank transfer
* Free Cancellation: Up to 24 hours+ before your travel time
* Reply your tour inquiry in details within 24 hours
* 24/7 fully backed up by our team & Last Minute Booking is available
1 to 1 tailor-made service from our professional travel advisors for the most sophisticated
Constantly excellent reviews for attraction, hotel and service Competitive price
Local experts provide quality tours Best selected knowledgeable local guides Authentic local restaurants
7*24 hours available to create you a worry-free tour. No Hidden Fees and absolutely no pressure to buy. Secured